Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed type of cancer among women. With an unfortunate staggering rise in the number of sufferers and the need for better, more effective treatment, British researchers from the University of Manchester have been trying to develop a new treatment method that will hopefully help in curbing the ailment.

   Currently, treatment for breast cancer involves surgery in most cases. The prognoses are much better if a patient receives an early diagnosis. Depending on the stage of cancer, additional chemo, hormone, radiation or other targeted therapies may be necessary after surgery.

   There are a few promising cancer treatment techniques that are being developed by scientists currently. Particularly, thanks to researchers from the University of Manchester a new medication will soon be approved.breast cancer diagnosis

   The good news is that it is not lying on the horizon - it is here, now! This treatment has two simple goals:

   a) To rid the body of cancer cells;

   b) To prevent the disease from relapse.

   The new medication is the combination of two cancer drugs - Tyverb and Herceptin. The latter is a drug often delivered using drips. However, it is only used in the process of chemotherapy after cancer patients have undergone surgery. On the other hand, Tyverb is a type of pill that is used in the treatment of advanced cases of breast cancer, especially when the disease has spread to other body parts.

   The combination of the two, according to researchers, helps in eradicating the disease in its early stages. Although patients are still likely to need to undergo surgery to ensure that cancer cells are no longer present, they will not require further chemotherapy afterward, which is a great improvement as chemotherapy is known for its severe side effects.

   So far, some medical experts have described the new medication as game-changing after a trial was conducted to test its effectiveness. A number of women suffering from breast cancer allowed the effectiveness of the treatment to be tested on them. After just 11 days, cancer cells were no longer produced in 87% of the women, and cancer tumors completely vanished in the remaining 13% of them.

   The scientists behind the new medication announced the first promising results at the 10th European Breast Cancer Conference that took place in Amsterdam in 2016. They said they had never seen such a quick treatment response.

   The trial was conducted on only a small number of participants; however, in the nearest future it’s been already planned to try to use the treatment in a few hospitals in London to further verify its effectiveness. The expected success of the treatment will lead to its quick approval within the following several months.